الخميس، 16 ديسمبر 2010

Spelling when adding -ing

Is the word runing or running? Is it coming or comming? Do you know how to spell them? Is there an easy way to know? Yes, there is. I will tell you some rules. I
First of all, do you know what a vowel is? They are the letters A, E, I, O, and U.I
Do you know what a consonant is? They are all of the letters except vowels. B, C, D, F, etc.I



Rule 1- If a word ends with a vowel and a consonant, you should double the consonant (make another one) before adding -ing. I

Here is an example... run. U is a vowel, N is a consonant. There is only one syllable. So the spelling is running. Also look at the word stop. O is a vowel and P is a consonant. So the spelling is stopping.I


Rule 2- If a word ends with an -e, like the word come, take off the -e and add -ing. The word becomes coming.I


Rule 3- If the word ends with two vowels and a consonant, like clean, do not double the last letter. Just add -ing. The new word is cleaning.I


Rule 4- How about a word that ends with two consonants like help? Just add -ing. The word becomes helping.I


Rule 5- If a word ends with a -y, like play, just add -ing. The word becomes playing.I


Rule 6- If a word ends with -ie, like die, change the ie to y and add -ing. The new word becomes dying.I



So the only words that have special changes are words that match rule # 1 and # 6. For everything else, just add -ing.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق